Once in a Lifetime

Saturday, December 27, 2014


Every time I watched Once, this strange feelings always occurs.

I knew about this movie in 2011. I was in the middle of my Eurotrip, in the small village in Germany. I visited a good friend of mine which we met in Taizé back in 2008. I stayed for two nights in her home with her lovely family.

I had a wonderful and beautiful time there.

Before I came to that village, my trip was rushing. But in that village, my good friend showed her slow and quite life in the middle of the big field of corn and wheat. We rode a bike, we cooked, we sat under the shades, we listened to good songs. Until on my last night there, she introduced me to a song which I never heard before. It called "Falling Slowly" and she said the song won an Oscar for the movie Once.

Then she took a guitar and taught me how to sing it. The song is a duet, she said. She taught me the guitar chord. Then we sang it together. In that warm and cosy living room, somewhere in Europe.

Back in Indonesia, I looked the film. I watched it.

And it struck me, inside out.


Straight away I understand the meaning of its title. The movie itself tells about a simple story how a guy met a girl who completes his life in a way. They're got into an awkward and odd relationship, which enrich each of their life. Then they go in different path.

Maybe some people who watch the movie would connect in different way. But for me, the movie itself tells me that it's really normal to experience one great and wonderful thing which enrich your life, then that thing will not last forever, and you have to continue your upgraded life. 

It is really normal. It happens. And you have to move on.


Well this meaning could be in any context and could connect with me in a different situation according to my experiences. But the situation and the character in the film put me in a specific experience and memory. Thanks to the European setting and the beauty of Marketa Irglova who played well to portray the girl character, with her East European-English accent.

She made me remember, and embrace, my fruitful experience of staying for three months in Taizé and travelling for one month in four countries around Europe.

During that time, I met people with their primary language is not English. Therefore they talk with this European-English accent which quite distinctive. And I just love their accent, particularly those from Eastern Europe which sounds rather cute. Haha. 

Well I met with many good people, we went on fruitful and thoughtful conversations, and yes some of the time I fell in love. Until I realize that I could achieve much more than fall in love with a girl. In this strange country which you will never know when you will visit again, I thought my time will be quite wasted to have a deep feeling on a girl whom I never knew for sure when we will meet again. Thus I enjoy the feeling, embrace, and moved on.

Went to the next bus.
Caught the next train.
Flew in the next plane.

On that time I don't understand why I experienced this grand thing but I couldn't make it last. Why I experienced that great feeling when I visit a new and foreign place, when I knew I have to leave it in the next couple of days? Why I feel warmth and welcomed when I met a new friend, when I knew we have to say goodbye tomorrow?


Once.

To experience one great thing in your life, then move on with your upgraded life. 

It is damn hard not to think
"Could I preserve this experience for one more day? Or a week? Or a month? Or a year?"
It is very easy to get tempted to say
"I want to feel like this for the all of time!"

But unfortunately life doesn't work that way.

How life works made me believe that if I felt that wonderful experience for a long time, or many times, the grandeur feeling would fade eventually. Maybe it's the same like when you eat ratatouille for the first time, will taste different when you eat it for the hundredth time. Or maybe not, sorry for my silly analogy *haha*


Then what should we do?

In my opinion. Life has given us a chance. So it's up to us how to live it.


My take, I will live it in fullness. 

Maximize it. 

Making the most of it while it last.

Be in the now.


Then I'll get another grandeur feeling of particular experience. 


To memorize it. To share it. To write it.


You Might Also Like

5 comment(s)

  1. Sekian lama follow blog lo, menurut gw postingan yang ini yang paling artistik n filosofis.. ciyeee.. haha.. gw setuju banged, kadang yang cuma sesaat itu bisa lebih meaningful, kalau kontiniu malah fade away..
    Salam kenal, broo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaaat jadi postingan gue yang lain ga bermutu??? ahahahaha
      Thanks anyway! But how did you came across my blog?

      Delete
    2. @ jojo = jooo,,lo kenal timo?? hhhiihhihi

      Delete
    3. Eh, ada si Mance.. hahaa..
      Kan gw follow blog timo atas referensi dr lo pas jaman kita kuliah dulu..
      Eniwei, uda kejawab ya bro, pertanyaannya..

      Gak koq, postingan yang lain bukannya ga mutu, cuman ga mendorong gw bernapsu utk komen aj..

      Sbnrnya gw maw komen postingan sebelumnya yang tentang "sang mantan", gw komen sekalian aja deh di sini..
      Believe it or not, gw jg diputusin via email.. damn!
      Dan perasaan gw persis kaya lo, sakitnya sih ilang, uda move on juga, tp ya gitu deh,, the scar will never disappear, we just gotta make room for it..

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Timo - a full-time explorer, a part-time writer, a film programmer, a movie passionate, an author of Sobekan Tiket Bioskop