A Waltz for a Night

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

i don't know but i think you can't read this as a stand-alone post. you have to read A Worth of a Glance at first. it's almost like you can't see Before Sunrise or Before Sunset as a stand-alone movie. oh that will be so mean. it's like you only watch Star Wars Episode IV, V, and VI without watch Episode I, II, and III ;p

yes, i was talking about
Before Sunrise (1995) with its quotes and my most-favorite-movie-scene ever.

and now i want to talk about its sequel.


do you ever know about Before Sunset (2004)?
after separated in Vienna nine years ago and and made a promise to meet again each again six month later in the same exact place, (finally) they're meet again nine years later in Celine's hometown, Paris and once again doing their very interesting conversation and city walking. and the movie ends with the-most-fair-ending-story ever (which is i will not spoil it ;p).

i want to share the memorable quotes from Before Sunset (credit to imdb)
hope these quotes can help you to describe or to remind you how the movie goes on.
it starts with Jesse made a small press conference of his recently published book at the one of bookstore in Paris and suddenly Celine encounters him.


Jesse: I heard this story once about when the Germans were occupying Paris and they had to retreat back. They wired Notre Dame to blow, but they had to leave one guy in charge of hitting the switch. And the guy, the soldier, he couldn't do it. You know, he just sat there, knocked out by how beautiful the place was. And then when the allied troops came in, they found all the explosives just lying there and the switch unturned, and they found the same thing at Sacre Couer, Eiffel Tower. Couple other places I think...
Celine: Is that true?
Jesse: I don't know. I always liked the story, though.



Jesse: Maybe what I'm saying is, is the world might be evolving the way a person evolves. Right? Like, I mean, me for example. Am I getting worse? Am I improving? I don't know. When I was younger, I was healthier, but I was, uh, whacked with insecurity, you know? Now I'm older and my problems are deeper, but I'm more equipped to handle them.


Jesse: In the months leading up to my wedding, I was thinking about you all the time. I mean, even on my way there; I'm in the car, a buddy of mine is driving me downtown and I'm staring out the window, and I think I see you, not far from the church, right? Folding up an umbrella and walking into a deli on the corner of 13th and Broadway. And I thought I was going crazy, but now I think it probably was you.
Celine: I lived on 11th and Broadway.
Jesse: You see?


Jesse: So what kind of songs do you write? I didn't know you did that.
Celine: What kind?
Jesse: Yeah, sure.
Celine: I don't know, just songs.
Jesse: Like?
Celine: Like, some are about, you know, people, uh, relationships. One's about my cat.
Jesse: Sing one.
Celine: No, I can't, I don't have a guitar.
Jesse: Oh, co- come on. A cappella.
Celine: No, no, no. I'm not singing a song without a guitar. You're nuts!
Jesse: Why not? It's...
Celine: No, okay. Not now. No.
Jesse: One.
Celine: No.
Jesse: If not now, when? Wanna meet here in six months with a guitar? You know, I'll fly all the way over here, you may or may not make the metro...
Celine: [laughing] Okay, that's funny.


Jesse: You want to know why I wrote that stupid book?
Celine: Why?
Jesse: So that you might come to a reading in Paris and I could walk up to you and ask, "Where the fuck were you?"
Celine: [laughing] No - you thought I'd be here today?
Jesse: I'm serious. I think I wrote it, in a way, to try to find you.
Celine: Okay, that's - I know that's not true, but that's sweet of you to say.
Jesse: I think it is true.


Jesse: What do you think were the chances of us ever meeting again?
Celine: After that December, I'd say almost zero. But we're not real anyway, right? We're just, uh, characters in that old lady's dream. She's on her deathbed, fantasizing about her youth. So of course we had to meet again.


Jesse: Oh, God, why weren't you there, in Vienna?
Celine: I told you why.
Jesse: Well, I know why, I just - I wish you would have been. Our lives might have been so much different.
Celine: You think so?
Jesse: I actually do.
Celine: Maybe not. Maybe, we would have hated each other eventually.
Jesse: Oh what, like we hate each other now?
Celine: You know, maybe we're - we're only good at brief encounters, walking around in European cities in warm climate.


Jesse: Oh, God, why didn't we exchange phone numbers and stuff? Why didn't we do that?
Celine: Because we were young and stupid.
Jesse: Do you think we still are?
Celine: I guess when you're young, you just believe there'll be many people with whom you'll connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens a few times.
Jesse: And you can screw it up, you know, misconnect.


Celine: The past is the past. It was meant to be that way.
Jesse: What, you really believe that? That everything's fated?
Celine: Well, you know, the world might be less free than we think.
Jesse: Yeah?
Celine: Yeah, when given these exact circumstances, that's what will happen every time: two part hydrogen, one part oxygen, you get water every time.
Jesse: No, no, I - I - I mean what if your grandmother had lived a week longer, or, you know, or passed away a week earlier, days even. You know things might have been different. I believe that.
Celine: You can't think like that, it's...
Jesse: No, I mean, I know you shouldn't on most things, but - It's just, on this one it seemed like something was off, you know?


Celine: You can never replace anyone because everyone is made up of such beautiful specific details.


Celine: Memory is a wonderful thing if you don't have to deal with the past.
and i want to share my most-romantic-scene-ever in this movie. (credit to youtube)
in the end of the movie, Jesse enters Celine's home and ask her to fulfill her promise to sing a song with her guitar.



Let me sing you a waltz
Out of nowhere, out of my thoughts
Let me sing you a waltz
About this one night stand

You were for me that night
Everything I always dreamt of in life
But now you're gone
You are far gone
All the way to your island of rain

It was for you just a one night thing
But you were much more to me
Just so you know

I hear rumors about you
About all the bad things you do
But when we were together alone
You didn't seem like a player at all

I don't care what they say
I know what you meant for me that day
I just wanted another try
I just wanted another night
Even if it doesn't seem quite right
You meant for me much more
Than anyone I've met before

One single night with you little Jesse
Is worth a thousand with anybody

I have no bitterness, my sweet
I'll never forget this one night thing
Even tomorrow, another arms
My heart will stay yours until I die

Let me sing you a waltz
Out of nowhere, out of my blues
Let me sing you a waltz
About this lovely one night stand

A Waltz for a Night, composed and performed by Julie Delpy

You Might Also Like

5 comment(s)

  1. ><" i like it!!!!!!!!!!!! ah. so deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Before Sunset" is a remarkable achievement in several ways, most obviously in its technical skill. It is not easy to shoot a take that is six or seven minutes long, not easy for actors to walk through a real city while dealing with dialogue that has been scripted but must sound natural and spontaneous. Yet we accept, almost at once, that this conversation is really happening.

    - Roger Ebert (rogerebert.suntimes.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @tasia
    udah nonton yah tas?

    @iin
    oalah, in! gue kira itu komen lo ahahaha...dapet darimana tuh komen? kena banget tuh review singkatnya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. timoo.. itu gue put commentnya Bp Roger Ebert seorang kritikus handal Hollywood gue dpt dr web nya rogerebert.suntimes.com, atau via imdb, di pagenya before sunset, trs cari external review di samping kanan.

    hahhahaaa.. keren bgt yaa reviewnya abisan kan dia expertnya film bok.. dan gue setuju ama reviewnya.. yoi kan.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. @iin
    ohohoho kapan yah gue jadi seorang kritikus handal film...;p

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Timo - a full-time explorer, a part-time writer, a film programmer, a movie passionate, an author of Sobekan Tiket Bioskop